The purchase of an office shredder is not the only cost to consider. Many organisations fail to consider the total costs of using office shredders (or the costs when they fail to work)!
Click to download our PDF
The obvious costs of using office shredders is staff time, maintenance costs and labour.
Whilst office shredders are sold as industrial they cannot cope with more than a few sheets per pass. Removing staples and other fixings takes up valuable staff time. Lack of time provides staff an excuse for confidential papers not to be shredded. In addition, office shredders easily jam or burn out as frustrated staff push too much in at a time. Repairing and maintaining them all takes time and can cause a backlog of un-shredded documents.
All the costs can be removed by switching to a regular shredding service from a professional shredding firm.
Using office shredders can be risky
Office shredders do not make commercial sense and could actually put your business at risk…why?
Office shredders are:
- Slow for shredding large volumes for papers and files
- Liable to jam or burn out
- Unable to cope with files that are not stripped down
- A health and safety minefield
- Maintenance needy for servicing and safety checks (they are subject to PAT testing)
- Out of action when full so papers are left unsecured
- Valuable staff time spent shredding paperwork is not generating you revenue
- Slow so shredding is delegated to office juniors is risky
- Deter employees from destroying documents
- The true cost of shredding is estimated at £1.55 per kg when all the costs are totalled
- The worst threat to your business, staff or customers is a data security breach
- Documents are left unsecure around the workplace when shredders jam, are full or staff have not time to shred
A professional shredding service will save you money and protect your business in 3 steps:
1) Simply place documents into secure locked consoles conveniently sited in your office
- Unwanted files can be instantly and safely deposited
- No need to remove staples or strip files
- The consoles 100% maintenance free
2) On the scheduled shred day our trained and security vetted staff empty the consoles
- Flexibility ensures consoles are available for use
- You remove the risk of staff manual handling injuries
- Cross cut shredding ensures total destruction
3) The contents are shredded onsite in a shred truck while you watch
- A regular shredding service lowers total costs £0.38/kg
- All shredded paper is taken away for recycling
- You download a Certificate of Destruction