There are two main options available when you come to dispose of your confidential papers; on-site shredding and off-site shredding. On-site shredding involves a shred truck coming to your premises and shredding your material in a mobile shred truck “on-site”. Off-site shredding involves a GPS tracked van collecting your material and transporting it back to Topwood to be shredded “off-site”. Read on to find out more about the process.
What is on-site shredding?
On-site shredding is when a shred truck destroys documents or media at your workplace. This offers the shortest chain of custody and by definition is the safest. When the truck leaves your offices there is no way your information can be accessed either maliciously or accidentally. On-site shredding is most beneficial when you have a bulk clearance, as loose documents are put straight into a wheelie bin and emptied directly into the shredder. See below for the chain of events.
The chain of events for an on-site shredding service:
1. The high security shred truck arrives at your workplace at an agreed date and time.
2. Our security vetted shred truck operative collects all your documents or media to be shredded and takes them directly to the lorry, with supervision from your staff member
3.Our operative weighs the amount for shredding, then places the paper or data into the shredder, again with staff supervision.
4.The shredded documents are collected at the back of the lorry and mixed with other pieces of confidential documents and are taken to the recycling plant at the end of each day.
What is off-site shredding?
Off-site shredding is an alternative option for customers that have a smaller quantity of shredding or whose premises are on our regular routes. This option is popular and more cost efficient for organisaions whose premises are in city centres and opt for a regular shredding services.
The chain of events for a regular off-site shredding service:
1. As a Topwood customer you would have Topwood shredding receptacles in your offices to keep your confidential documents away from prying eyes (sacks, consoles or wheelie bins). These are all provided FREE on loan – we only charge for the shredding we do.
2. You will have a schedule set up for a weekly, 2-weekly, 4-weekly, 8-weekly or ad hoc service for Topwood to arrive at your premises and collect your shredding.
3. All shredding receptacles are sealed with a security tag and transported back to Topwood in a GPS tracked van to be shredded off-site.
4. The shred sack with be opened and loaded directly into the shredder within 24hrs of collection and shredded to standard EN15713.
5. The shredded paper will be taken to the recycling plant at the end of each day and you will receive a certificate of destruction.
Benefits of on-site shredding
While off-site shredding is still secure and may be the most convenient for some companies, we will always recommend on-site shredding as it involves the shortest chain of custody, and is therefore the most secure and reduced the chance of a security breach.
On-site shredding gives you peace of mind as you can watch your confidential documents go directly into the shredder and into the back of the locked shred truck. At the same time our shred truck have the capability to shred hard drive, CD’s and disks on-site in a separate shredder too.
We are one of the only companies in the North West with ISO:27001 accreditation. Data controllers must make every effort to ensure the data processors are compliant; this award guarantees that we comply with the highest standards. Compliance is important for your company too: the Data Protection Act requires the destruction of all sensitive data to a sufficient level that it cannot be reconstructed.